"A month later, we came to this conclusion: There was no such “beast” in the forest."
- Big Bird's Entry
Big Bird (O-02-40) is an Abnormality in the form of a big, round, black, featherless bird, with arms instead of wings. It has 17 yellow eyes (implied to be at least 47 in one of its flavor text quotes) and a sharp beak. It holds a lantern with a wick of its melded feathers inside it.
Ability[edit | edit source]
- By performing a Good Result, its Qliphoth Counter increases by 1.
- By getting a Bad Result, its Qliphoth Counter decreases by 1.
- Each time 5 employees (including Clerks) die, its Qliphoth Counter decreases by 1 (Doesn't count death by Execution Bullets).
Once its Qliphoth Counter reaches 0, or an Emergency Level 2 (Second Trumpet) starts, Big Bird will breach. When breaching, the current department where Big Bird is located will enter into a 'Blackout'; all the hallways and rooms will go dark. With an amount of 1600 HP, Big Bird will wander the facility, and use its lamp periodically; this will give a Mark to a random employee in the same department, enchanting them. This mark is a yellow circle that will appear above the respective employee, and it will slowly turn red. Employees with the mark will receive reduced damage (Yellow = 0.5; Red = immune). After a period of time pass (~40 seconds or 2 lamp shakes), the employee with the mark will be possessed and lured to Big Bird's location. All Clerks and enchanted/possessed employees with the Mark that are in-front Big Bird will be killed instantly; Big Bird's eyes will turn red, before decapitating the employee with its beak. During this attack, Big Bird will gain immunity to damage.
If the enchanted employee gets out of the blackout department before gets possessed, the mark will be removed. The mark could also be removed by entering We Can Change Anything (they are still going to die) or the Shelter from the 27th of March. If the camera is focused on Big Bird when walking, the screen will shake and will be unable to be moved for a short moment. When all of the employees in its department are dead, Big Bird will continue to wander the facility. It tends to seek out and move toward enchanted employees.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Big Bird was a bird who, along with Punishing Bird and Bird of Judgement, protected the Black Forest from hostile monsters. Big Bird wandered the forest, warning people about a "monster" in the forest. Judgement Bird gave Big Bird its eyes, so it could see farther to seek trespassers and could protect the forest more effectively. One day, someone questioned 'What if the monster came at night?', and Big Bird, worried, made a wick with all of its feathers, stripping itself to its skin in order to create an everlasting lantern to see through the night. Big Bird then wandered the forest and thought of a solution to the monster problem; it believed that killing humans and other creatures would "save" them from dying to the monsters. At the end, when the forest was about to enter in total disorder, Big Bird, Punishing Bird and Judgement Bird decided to merge their forms to protect the forest more effectively; this created a new bird, but instead of protecting the forest, the bird destroyed it. It is unknown when the birds decided to separate themselves.
When Lobotomy went to the forest to verify the tale, they didn't find any "monsters" or creatures: The only thing left was Big Bird.
Big Bird's habit of killing people in order to prevent them from being killed more brutally carries over into X's Facility, where it will try to kill researchers in an attempt to provide salvation from the usually gruesome deaths caused by other breached abnormalities.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Big Bird's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-7 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 8-13 will cause it to feel Normal, and 14-20 will make it to be Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds. Its Qliphoth Counter is 5.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level ( WAW), portrait, Damage Type ( Black 2 - 6), the amount of E-Boxes (20), emotional state and its Qliphoth Counter (5).
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "After 5 employees died within the facility, the Qliphoth Counter decreased. However, deaths caused by Execution Bullets were not recognized."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter decreased."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "When the work result was Good, the Qliphoth Counter increased."
- "Managerial Tips 4"
- "Big Bird breached its Containment Unit regardless of its Qliphoth Counter when the emergency situation in the facility reached the 2nd Trumpet."
- "Managerial Tips 5"
- "There was a blackout in the Department where Big Bird was roaming. Employees who are in the Department with a blackout may become enchanted by Big Bird."
- "Managerial Tips 6"
- "It seems enchanted targets receive less damage. However, after a certain amount of time had passed, those targets made their way to where Big Bird was and died from its attack."
- "Managerial Tips 7"
- "Enchanted employees were freed from their trance as soon as they were out of the Department that suffered from the blackout."
|Work||Level 1 Chance||Level 2 Chance||Level 3 Chance||Level 4 Chance||Level 5 Chance|
||"Low"||"Low"||"Very Low"||"Very Low"||"Very Low"|
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Lamp'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon and Suit 'Lamp'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
"A large, many-eyed bird that patrols the dark forest with an everlasting lamp. Unlike regular birds, it lacks wings and has long arms instead with which it can pick things up."
"...(Omitted) would stare intently at anyone it found, young or old, and bite their head off. There is a tale of a beast that lies in the deepest, darkest part of the forest who dazzles creatures away never to be seen again. To protect all creatures from the beast, the big bird burned all of its feathers to make a wick, and then made a lamp that would burn forever. With this eternally lit lamp, the big bird wandered the forest, warning the creatures to not stray too deep into the trees. Thanks to the large bird, fewer creatures fell victim to the beast in the forest. However, it was still concerned for the creatures still being killed by the beast. An idea struck the big bird’s mind: “If I kill the creatures first, then no one would be killed by the beast!”
Since then, only rumors of a beast that would bite your head off flew around the dark forest. It is said that the beast carefully examines and stares at its victims to see if they are the beast that lures helpless creatures away.This is a tale from a town in the <Location Redacted> area. We heard the tale from the town's oldest inhabitant, <Redacted>. Although there is a general assumption that the tale was told to prevent children from entering the forest, it is uncertain who first inherited the tale."
“We can’t do anything while the Abnormality has its eyes open. It stares intently, and as it keeps staring…(Omitted). This is why we need to put it to sleep first. We can only begin working when all of its numerous dozens of eyes have entered into slumber.”
"And it turns out that the tale was not made up. We could find this large bird in the forest. Right after that, we tried to look for the ‘Beast that dazzles people.’ We searched through every nook and cranny of the forest. Investigated every single creature in detail. A month later, we came to this conclusion: There was no such ‘beast’ in the forest. Except for that big bird.”
“This Abnormality is completely ignorant of the common perception of death. The Abnormalities that reside in this corporation can be placed into two different categories. The first category is those who understand perfectly well what the concept and meaning of death is, and will attack our staff with the intent to kill. The second has those who are aware of the concept of death, but attack without malicious intent. This Abnormality we have contained here fits into neither of these two categories. To this bird, death in itself is salvation. If it just ripped off the head of a poor little girl who got lost in the forest, to it, there was no mistake, malice, or murder. It thinks it’s just saved the girl from the beast.”
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "Big Bird’s most notable features are its numerous eyes that cover its whole body, and the bright lamp it carries."
- "In fact, we don’t know the reason behind why Big Bird was killing people."
- "Big Bird being unable to fly like most birds is a huge benefit. If it could, half of our staff would be headless by now."
- "An idea struck Big Bird’s mind: “If I kill the creatures first, then no one would be killed by the beast!” It was then that the forest found peace."
- "The ghastly sound of fluttering eyes and a flickering, burning lamp fills the Containment Unit."
- "The eyes and lamp of Big Bird light up the dark chamber like stars."
- "Scores of Big Bird’s eyes suddenly direct themselves towards <name>."
- "Facing towards Big Bird, <name> shrinks away and shudders nervously."
- "Behind <name>, the rumbling sound of a hairy black bird can be heard. "
- "The sporadic squeals of a bird can be heard."
- "Big Bird is crying behind <name> as if it is feeling anxious."
- "Big Bird cries behind <name>, acting as if it feels anxious."
- "Big Bird circles and roams around <name>, crying."
- "<name> turns their head away to avoid eye contact, and is met with a burning lamp."
- "A dazzlingly bright lamp is held in front of <name>, who turned away to avoid looking towards Big Bird."
- "<name> sees Big Bird holding its illuminating lamp."
- "It was a very good decision for <name> to face away from Big Bird."
- "Big Bird’s eyes are turning crimson."
- "Big Bird approaches <name> while making threatening noises."
- "Big Bird is audibly grinding its teeth."
- "Big Bird is walking towards <name>."
When an employee dies during work[edit | edit source]
- "<name>’s head rolls around on the floor of the Containment Unit."
- "<name>’s head was easily pulled off."
- "Big Bird used its beak to pull off <name>’s head as if it were uprooting weeds in a garden."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Big Bird has been reworked when reintroduced to Legacy, including minor changes to its new appearance, new portrait, as well gaining a 'defeat' animation.
- Big Bird's name may be a reference to the popular character Big Bird from Sesame Street.
- Big Bird, Punishing Bird and Bird of Judgement are the first Abnormalities which can summon another Abnormality.
- Big Bird will escape when other Abnormalities are out. This is a reference to its own story, about trying saving them from being killed by the other Abnormalities, but by killing them first.