"Where does one go when they die?"
- Funeral of the Dead Butterflies' Entry
Funeral of the Dead Butterflies (T-01-68) is a humanoid abnormality which has a white butterfly for a head and possess five arms, two at each shoulder and one coming out of its neck. It wears a black suit and coat with a single white sleeve for its middle arm. It carries a black coffin with a butterfly engraved on its lid behind its back with two of its extra arms. According to the flavor text, the coffin is full of butterflies.
Ability[edit | edit source]
- When an employee with Justice lower than Level 3 works with the Abnormality, lowering the counter when the work is done.
- When an employee with Fortitude level 4 or higher works with the Abnormality.
- A 80% chance to decrease when the Work Result is Bad.
- It will extend the arm on its neck and make a gun shape with its hand, then shoot some butterflies towards an employee which will deal White Damage.
- It will slam the coffin it carries with it on the ground and place it in a vertical fashion in front of itself. After a few seconds the coffin will open and butterflies will flood the corridor in front of it, dealing consistent low White Damage for some seconds to any entities in the zone. This also slow a bit the employees trapped in the swarm.
If the Abnormality deplete the Sanity Gauge of an employee with their attacks, the employee will die instead of panic, with butterflies resting on their corpse. Funeral of the Dead Butterflies also possess a death animation when defeated, slowly floating down and entering into its coffin.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Part of its origin is currently unknown, but in its entries it is mentioned that this Abnormality came to the facility to 'free' the employees, to return them to their home after they die. However, due to them being bound to the company and only able to return when they are 'discarded', the objective was difficult to achieve. The Abnormality was then captured by the corporation.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Funeral of the Dead Butterflies' emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-6 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 7-10 will cause it to feel Normal, and 11-16 will make its mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds and its Qliphoth Counter is 2.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades [edit | edit source]
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "When employees of Justice Level 2 or lower finished working with Funeral of the Dead Butterflies, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "The above phenomenon also occurred when employees of Fortitude Level 4 or higher finished working with Funeral of the Dead Butterflies."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a high probability."
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Solemn Lament'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon and Suit 'Solemn Lament'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
- "Where does one go when they die?
Where did all the employees who worked here go?"
- "- They must have returned home. To a haven where family and warmth await.
- The employees cannot leave; once they join the company, the only way to leave is to resign.
- - Then those "resigned" employees must have returned home, having earned what they wanted and being full of hope."
- "We are the feathers of a Wing. Resignation isn't as simple as you think. Just like how a feather doesn't detach from a wing of its own will.
- - Then, where did all the resigned employees go?
- They're bound to the company the moment they enter. Even if they do resign, they are doomed to stay here forever."
- Long ago, in some world, people believe that they would become beautiful beings with small wings when they died. It's a silly story. Nonsensical too.
- If we get wings, will we be able to leave this place? Do we get our wings only after we retire?"
- "They say the mourner with a huge luggage on his back had come to be a savior to all. Eventually, he himself was trapped in this place, and now he wanders the company with only the memory of an empty faith. He's carrying a coffin. A large coffin to pay tribute to the employees who have nowhere else to go. However, it is still too small to comfort those innocent sacrifices.
- Inside it is a kaleidoscope of butterflies waiting for the moment to fall asleep. Until then, they flutter their wings uselessly. The wings that may have been many jumbled into one, or one split into many. Butterflies are supposed to pollinate flowers, but not a single proper flower blooms in this place. There is no choice but to wait. After all, there must be an end to every world."
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "Having someone to mourn for you after your death is a blessing."
- "Those who remain have no time to remember those who’ve died, all they can do is prepare for the next death."
- "Funeral of the Dead Butterflies gazes upon <name> in still silence."
- "Funeral of the Dead Butterflies dreams. The curtain draws down on the ideal born in vain, but it is without an accompanying conclusion."
- "The huge coffin isn’t nearly enough to substitute the hundreds of undug graves."
- "<name> witnesses the funeral procession of the butterflies."
- "The burdensome fluttering wings come closer in a familiar yet strange way."
- "There are no flowers or trees in this place, so where do all these butterflies come from?"
- "The employees cannot return to whence they came, and have no choice but to endlessly repeat the day."
- "The funeral procession never ends; <name> continues to calmly mourn."
- "<name> thinks about the end of one’s life."
- "Returning to whence one came in one piece is now a miracle that will never happen."
- "Peaceful death in one’s finest hour is an unexpected blessing."
- "In fact, most of the employees who’ve died here wanted to live as long as they could."
- "Some thought death would be a new beginning; however, there is nothing but the void after death."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The E.G.O. Weapon of the Abnormality is the first weapon to include two types of damages, White, displayed for the weapon; and Black as the secondary damage type.
- The file name for Funeral of the Dead Butterflies was titled Butterfly.
- Being labeled as a 'Trauma' type, it might represent the experience of rest and reincarnation upon death, an experience deprived in the corporation. After failing of providing proper rest to the employees sacrificed, the captive Abnormality will wait until the end of times.
- Its name may be in reference to the Studio Ghibli film Grave of the Fireflies