"Its memories began with a warm hug."
- Happy Teddy Bear's Entry
Happy Teddy Bear (T-04-06) - known as A Teddy Bear before reaching Observation Lvl. 2 - is a large, worn-out teddy bear with a chewed ear, a single white button eye, a black hole in place of the other eye, brown matted fur, a light brown muzzle, and a faded green bowtie around its neck. Its stuffing spills out from multiple tears in its fabric.
Its special ability is activated when an employee enters Happy Teddy Bear's containment room. It will hug the employee tightly, choking it to death. The ability is triggered only upon sending the same worker twice in a row. Triggering its ability will also consume 1 work.
However, the employee trapped during the hug will enter into an 'Out of Control' state and will die after the task waiting time ends. If the player ends the day before the employee's death is confirmed, the employee can survive for the next day.
Happy Teddy Bear's story can be deciphered through its Flavour Text when performing work on it. It can be said that Happy Teddy Bear was packaged in a big, decorated box for the birthday of a seven year old girl. Happy Teddy Bear enjoyed all the nights with the child, remembering the hugs that they gave to it. As time passed, the child grew up, and Happy Teddy Bear was abandoned underneath a dresser. It never forgot the girl.
How Happy Teddy Bear 'came to life' is still unknown, as well where it was found and how it arrived in the facility.
Happy Teddy Bear loves hugs, but for fear being abandoned again, it will not let the person hugging them go - squeezing them so tightly that they suffocate and/or are crushed to death.
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Happy Teddy Bear's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-5 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 6-10 will cause it to feel Normal, and 11-15 will make it's mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds.
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "<name> died of asphyxiation after working with Happy Teddy Bear multiple times in a row."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "<name> was found dead in Happy Teddy Bear’s arms with a broken neck. It is believed that visiting Happy Teddy Bear’s Containment Unit several times in a row is what causes these unfortunate incidents. Please refer to the “Old Letter” document for more information."
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not: "Non Escaped Object"
Unlocks the E.G.O. Suit and Gift 'Bear Paws'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon 'Bear Paws'.
- "An Abnormality that resembles a large, raggedy teddy bear. It's missing some fur and only has one eye."
- "The old ribbon around its neck hints that it may have received much affection from its previous owner. There is a name on the ribbon, but it is too tattered to be discernible. It seems that it knows it has been abandoned, and looks dejected."
- <Excerpt from Counseling Log>
"I was on the night patrol. I didn't feel the need to pay attention to Happy Teddy since it was harmless for the most part. I just looked inside the Containment Unit to check on it. Teddy was hugging someone tightly. I thought it was (Redacted), the employee who was in charge of Teddy for a while, working late. But something was odd. I entered the unit and called (Redacted)'s name, but they didn't answer. I immediately pressed the emergency button to call in reinforcement. Turns out, (Redacted) had been in a coma for 8 hours. They were in Teddy's arms the whole time." "
- <An Old Letter, Stamped with "Rejected">
"Remember what was written in the employee manual?
- "Do NOT have personal feelings towards Abnormalities."
- At first, I didn't get what that was supposed to mean.
- Does it even make sense to develop any emotion toward those monsters in the first place?
- It's okay. They are monsters.
- Between the two of us, we can call them that.
- 'Happy Teddy Bear' was the second Abnormality you took charge of.
- I guess you must’ve thought that not all Abnormalities are monstrous after seeing it.
- The figure of an old, abandoned teddy bear may have brought up old memories of yours.
- Teddy seemed to like your hugs.Yeah, it would actually produce more energy when you were around.
- And in no time, they put you in charge of Teddy.
- You probably felt some kind of responsibility for it, right?
- I started getting worried as you visited Teddy's unit more and more often. It felt as if you were visiting an orphanage for volunteer work.
- It seems Teddy saw you as its new owner.
- Maybe you'd have been happy to hear that.
- But, you see, Teddy never wanted to be separate from its owner ever again
- You probably always promised that you'd return. But it couldn't understand.
- I heard that you miraculously survived. And that they spent an hour trying to separate you from Teddy's embrace.
- Though others may forget about you. I will always remember you.
- May there be a miracle."
- "Happy Teddy Bear looks just like the teddy bears everyone had when they were young."
- "Happy Teddy Bear always wanted to hug children."
- "Happy Teddy Bear loves hugs. Its memories began with a warm hug."
- "A teddy bear is born from happiness, so it needs to be happy at all times."
- "Happy Teddy Bear appears to be lost in thought, forlornly gazing at the stuffing that pokes and spills out of its seams."
- "The dirty ribbon around Happy Teddy Bear’s neck ruffles gently even though there is no wind to move it. The name that was written on that ribbon is worn away and unrecognizable by now."
- "Happy Teddy Bear doesn’t move an inch, as if it is gazing towards nothing. In fact, it’s looking at a photo of a young girl."
- "Happy Teddy Bear’s plastic eye silently dangles by a thread on the left side of its face."
- "While <name> is busy working, Happy Teddy Bear continues to gaze upon the picture frame."
- "Even if there’s a commotion, Happy Teddy Bear will fixedly stare at the picture."
- "It seems the picture in front of it is the only thing that matters to Happy Teddy Bear."
- "While working, <name> approaches Happy Teddy Bear and refastens its frayed ribbon."
- "<name> takes a moment to dust off the picture frame Happy Teddy Bear so dotingly gazes upon."
- "When <name> begins to mend the tears and rips on its plush body, Happy Teddy Bear does not react."
- "<name> tidies up Happy Teddy Bear a bit, however it does not react."
- "Happy Teddy Bear remembers the birthday party of that wonderful seven-year-old girl. It waited to surprise her inside a large and colorful box."
- "Happy Teddy Bear remembers going on a wonderfully fun vacation with the young girl. It was named “Bearly”."
- "Happy Teddy Bear recalls the numerous nights it protected that young girl from the dark as she snuggled up in its arms."
- "Happy Teddy Bear fondly remembers the child, now grown. Somewhere beneath her dresser, moth balls were collecting on its body."
Activating its ability
- "Happy Teddy Bear extends its arms, dragging <name> into its wide embrace. <name> starts choking and thrashing about, trying to free themself."
When an employee dies during work
- "<name>’s bones begin to crunch and crack in Happy Teddy Bear’s arms. Its old fur smells of longing."
- "Happy Teddy Bear does not release its arms, keeping <name> from leaving. <name>’s movements slow and stop. Happy Teddy Bear just won’t let go of its hug."
When an employee panics during work
- "<name> is now helplessly depressed. Life is meaningless for them. <name> is nothing but a speck of dust in the wind in the grand scheme of things."
- Before the second observation level is reached, Happy Teddy Bear will be called "Teddy Bear".
- Even though the in-game sprite has been drawn with a chewed right ear and a button for its left eye, Happy Teddy Bear's encyclopedia image has been drawn with a chewed left ear and a button for its right eye instead (probably mirrored).
- The first letter in the subject number classifies it as 'Trauma' due to its own story of being abandoned after the child who used to be with it grew up and left it behind, trying to not let go its next 'owner'. It's also possible that this Abnormality represents the fear of abandonment, loneliness, or the fear of dolls. In the case of loneliness, it is similar to Old Lady.