" 'Ease yourself, do you not have need of the blessing?' "
-Parasite Tree's Entry
Parasite Tree (D-04-108), also known as World Tree, appears as a green tree with a face embedded in the center of its trunk and has notably large leaves instead of branches. Its roots and bark envelop the majority of the base and the expression on the face seems calm or sleeping. Rustling leaves can be heard inside the containment chamber as it sways back and forth slowly.
Ability[edit | edit source]
Parasite Tree will activate its ability under the following circumstances:
- Each time another Abnormality breaches, there is a low chance that its Qliphoth Counter decrease by 1.
- Each time 5 works in a row are done in other Abnormalities, its Qliphoth Counter will decrease by 1. The containment chamber will grow dim at first, slowly growing more grass and bushes the more works are done on anything but Parasite Tree, but it will revert if a work is performed on it.
- When finishing Repression Work on it, its Qliphoth Counter will decrease by 1.
Upon finishing any type of work with Parasite Tree, Parasite Tree will sprout grass and bushes in the containment chamber and the employee in the containment chamber will receive a Blessing in the form of a crossed vine/leaf mark above their head, increasing the employee's SP over time and boosting their Success Rate.
When Parasite Tree's Qliphoth Counter is depleted, it will possess random employees, Agent or Clerk; who will be lured to the containment unit of Parasite Tree, and the first who reach its containment unit will be Blessed and the rest will be released. They can be identified by having green clouds covering their heads and the possession can be cancelled by repeatedly clicking on the affected employee(s). They will be listed as "Out of Control" in the department's employee list.
When any employee is Blessed, Parasite Tree will grow a white luminescent bulb, adding 1 more for every employee Blessed. Upon reaching 5 bulbs, Parasite Tree will undergo a drastic change, turning dark and having its bulbs change to skulls. All employees who were previously blessed will instantly panic (However, this is treated as Out of Control instead) and run around wildly, trying to get as far away as possible and spread out over the facility.
Shortly thereafter, all employees in this state will halt their Movement Speed and begin turning into smaller versions of Parasite Tree, named Saplings. Saplings are classified as HE Risk Level minions, they have a medium amount of HP at 400 and will attack the entire room with a toxic gas, dealing White Damage to everyone currently inside the room. If any employee panics from this, they will exhibit the same behavior as the initial panic effect and shortly after running a distance, will turn into Saplings as well.
Agents or Clerks who have the blessing and subsequently die will remove one bulb from Parasite Tree, making Execution Bullets favorable. Any employee who has the blessing will not cause another bulb to grow if they perform any kind of work on Parasite Tree. All the employees will lose their Blessings during the end of the day.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Although little is known about its origin, the 'Tree' possess itself a calm and serene voice that is used to lure the employees who are working with it to accept the blessing and in bringing more employees to take the blessing. Those who were under the effects of Parasite Tree would show more confident, calm and even happier as the 'tree' was helping them.
At the moment the blessings were complete, the tree will give a 'gift' to the employees that underwent the effects, making them be reborn as trees and be together as one.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Parasite Tree's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-7 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 8-14 will cause it to feel Normal, and 15-24 will make it's mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds and its Qliphoth Counter is 1.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level ( WAW), portrait, Damage Type ( White 5 - 6), the amount of E-Boxes (24), their emotional states and Qliphoth Counter (1)
- Managerial Tips 1
- "A bud sprouted on the upper part of Parasite Tree when <name> finished work with it. <name> was blessed by Parasite Tree and enjoyed increased Work Speed and SP."
- Managerial Tips 2
- "When Repression work was performed, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- Managerial Tips 3
- "When another Abnormality escaped, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a low probability."
- Managerial Tips 4
- "When 5 works with other Abnormalities were completed while Parasite Tree was not being worked with, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- Managerial Tips 5
- "When the Qliphoth Counter hit 0, Parasite Tree summoned employees to its Containment Unit to bless them."
- Managerial Tips 6
- "When 5 buds had sprouted on Parasite Tree, it turned dark and its blessed employees panicked. After some time passed, stems ripped through them and turned them into saplings (D-04-108-1) which strikingly resemble the Abnormality."
- Managerial Tips 7
- "D-04-108-1 secretes a contagious and highly fatal toxin. They need to be immediately removed to decontaminate the area."
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not, plus its Qliphoth Counter (1). While Parasite Tree cannot escape the containment chamber, the minions it creates have the following defenses during encounters:
|Work||Level 1 Chance||Level 2 Chance||Level 3 Chance||Level 4 Chance||Level 5 Chance|
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Hypocrisy'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon and Suit 'Hypocrisy'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
- "This Abnormality was created with the ideas provided by Tumblbug Backer llooll530.
An Abnormality taking the form of a tree with plentiful leaves. The leaves are lush with a rich green color, creating a comforting ambience. A refreshing flowery scent is carried by a gentle breeze."
- "Employees who made contact with the Abnormality stated that it provided them a significant psychological comfort. Such statements were deemed truthful as the employees displayed a visible increase in work efficiency, along with a notable decrease in mental corruption."
- <An Excerpt From an Employee’s Diary>
- "At first, I thought it was just my imagination from being sleep deprived. But as my body and mind got more and more exhausted, the voice calling me got clearer and clearer.
‘I can help you with your problem.’
- Yeah, that’s right. You can help me. What was I worrying about?
- I can smell a flowery scent…."
- "They imported a tree. That tree, standing in the middle of the Containment Unit, was such a beautiful sight to behold. I could feel the scent of flowers flit across my face even though there was no breeze or wind.Smelling that scent for even just a moment makes my attachment for the tree blindly grow. I was very intuitive since my childhood, so I could sense that this artificial attachment was hazardous.
- Ever since then, I tried everything I could to avoid contact with that tree, making all kinds of excuses whenever I was assigned to work on it.
- “Well, if you put it that way… just this once, okay? Geez, did that tree do something to you?”
- My colleague’s banter gets stuck in my ears. Did it do something? Yes, it did, and it scares me.A few days later, the same colleague has now become a staunch worker, wearing a constant smile on his face. I knew he’s always been an optimistic person, but I couldn’t help but feel uneasy because his face seemed strangely comfortable.
- “Really, do I seem content lately? Yeah, well, that’s because the tree is helping me out.”
- He answered light-heartedly. From my years of experience, I can say for certain that few people can smile so sincerely while working for this company. That means, when someone keeps smiling at work, it’s a sign that something went wrong. My suspicion immediately led me to report this behavior to my superior.
- The answer came sooner than I thought. It said that I am to observe the Abnormality myself and file an observation report because there have been several abnormal behaviors related to this tree which were identified in several other employees, not just the guy I reported.
- The order forced me to finally confront this tree that I had been avoiding as best I could. I knew I couldn’t pass it over to someone else this time.It was no longer a barren, naked tree that I saw the day it was imported. Instead, I saw a Containment Unit covered in grass that seemed to be sprawling around the tree. Which was peculiar, since there’s no way grass can grow in a Containment Unit. This facility is completely inorganic.
- ‘Hello, have you come here to receive my blessing, too?’
- The moment I felt that something was wrong, a voice echoed in my head…."
- "(It was difficult to decrypt the contents of the diary from this point onward as the writing becomes heavily distorted)
I don’t know how I wrote the observation report, all that’s certain is I just wrote what I felt about the tree: This beautiful plant is bringing happiness to every employee who visits its Containment Unit; it will soon greatly contribute to humanity’s quest for prosperity and advancement.
- But how could an Abnormality be such a good influence on humanity?
- ‘I just want to help you.’
- A voice without a single speck of malicious intent echoed again in my head. Yes, you’re right. You’re just helping me.
- ‘And if you’re okay with it, could you bring all your friends who are having a hard time here? I believe I can help them.’
Yes, this tree will easily bring peace to their mind. Speaking of which, that newbie seemed to be pretty depressed lately.
- “Hey, I know a place that’ll make you feel better. Come along if you want to.”
She followed me without any suspicion. It wasn’t hard to bring her to the tree’s Containment Unit.I offered her to the tree. She could get better; she will get better.
- ‘You’ve brought your friend. You are a good child. Let me gift you with something.’
- I could feel something sprouting from my body. I couldn’t move my limbs. No, this isn’t a bad thing, I am being reborn with the tree...
- The tree has entered me, transfixed me. We proliferate and become whole. Ah, I can completely feel it now."
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "<name> can feel the delicate scent of grass embracing the air.."
- "<name> feels a gentle breeze, which couldn’t possibly originate inside a Containment Unit."
- "The sound of rustling leaves is incredibly tranquil."
- "A flowery scent lingers in <name>’s nose."
- "A majority of the employees here are discontent; even the smallest blessing gives them great happiness."
- "A blessing more radiant than anything approaches employee <name>."
- "When the flower of blessing finally blooms from Parasite Tree, then…"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This Abnormality is made based on the ideas of the Tumblbug backer 'llooll530'.
- Before getting Observation Level 3, the Abnormality is called World Tree.
- The game file for the English version is called Yggdrasil, referencing the "Tree of Life" from the Norse mythology.
- In the second managerial tip there was a spelling error, where it reads "rpression", as opposed to "repression". This has since been corrected with the English retranslation.