"The girl begged in tears. "Mister, please cut off my feet..."
- Red Shoes's Entry
"I told you, I won’t give them away."
- Possessed employee
The Red Shoes (O-04-08) are a pair of shiny red high-heels. They sit upon a lilac pillow atop a white podium. The shoes seem to have abnormal gloss despite their age. It is implied that the shoes have teeth hidden in their confines which bite into skin with extraordinary strength when put on a foot, using so much force that the shoes are irremovable through physical means alone.
- 1 Ability
- 2 Origin
- 3 Details
- 4 Story
- 5 Flavour Text
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
Ability[edit | edit source]
Its ability can trigger when an employee enters its containment room by enchanting them or if the employee has Temperance Level 2 or lower. At the end of the work, the employee will be possessed by the shoes, changing their appearance and replacing their weapon with a red axe, healing their HP to the maximum, and increasing their own Max HP by 450% (minimum of 45, maximum ~1000). Afterwards, the employee will leave the containment room. Since Red Shoes 'leaves' the containment unit and employees can no longer work with it, this is considered breaching.
The Possessed Agent roams the facility, attacking nearby employees and Abnormalities, dealing average Red Damage (3 ~ 4) per hit, with a 30% chance to deal 10 ~ 15 Red Damage. The Abnormality uses the Defenses of the current armor that the possessed employee is wearing. When killing another employee, the possessed Agent will continue attacking the corpse 3 more times and heal itself by 4% of its Max HP with each hit. Unlike other minions, the possessed Agent will not activate the reduction of HP and SP regeneration of main rooms and will still heal from them like a normal Agent.
White Damage dealt to the enchanted Agent will subtract HP instead, but Black Damage will still deal damage to the SP of the possessed Agent. On depletion, it will heal back to half of their gauge. The possessed employee is still affected by other status effects, like Portrait of Another World and/or The Child of Galaxy's effects.
Shields, Healing Bullets and Execution Bullets can be applied to the possessed Agent - but Slow Bullets will not take effect. If the possessed Agent dies, it will still trigger the Fear Damage to nearby Agents in the same room.
When finishing a work with a Normal (Medium chance) or Bad (Great chance) result, Red Shoes' Qliphoth Counter might be reduced by 1 and once depleted, it will enchant a random Temperance Level 2 or lower employee of the same department to attract them to its containment room - forcing them to wear the shoes once inside. If there are no agents available, it will possess a clerk instead. The possession is visible by a pink cloud around the head of the enchanted employee. A pink message warning will appear on the containment unit of Red Shoes when this occurs.
An employee wearing the shoes can not be saved and has to be killed. 'Enchanted' employees who are being lured towards the containment chamber can be recognized via pink clouds above their head. They can be saved by clicking on them multiple times before they reach the containment chamber. Clicking on them also slows down their movement. The player should continue to click on the lured employee until the possession effect is gone or the employee will recover their Movement Speed and continue to the containment chamber.
Origin[edit | edit source]
The shoes are implied and suggested to be the same shoes from The Red Shoes.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Red Shoes's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-7 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 8-11 will cause it to feel Normal, and 12-16 will make its mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds and its Qliphoth Counter is 1.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "Employees with Temperance Level 2 or lower should not work with The Red Shoes, as inside The Red Shoes’s Containment Unit, <name> went insane. The Red Shoes remember their previous owner."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When the work result was Normal, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a normal probability."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a high probability."
- "Managerial Tips 4"
- "When the Qliphoth Counter became 0, a low-Temperance employee <name> entered the Containment Unit in a trance. This phenomenon has been dubbed “Allurement”."
- "Managerial Tips 5"
- "After continuously attempting to select and converse with <name>, who was allured, they seemingly returned to normal."
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not, plus its Qliphoth Counter (1). Even when is not classified as an Abnormality which can escape by itself but indirectly, the defense that it uses are the ones of the possessed employee instead.
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Sanguine Desire'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon and Suit 'Sanguine Desire'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
- "A pair of elegant red women's shoes. The design is antique, but there is no telling where and how they were made."
- "It overwhelms the mind with the urge to try them on. The changes that occur from wearing the Abnormality are first visible in the eyes of the wearer."
- "The next observable change is that the wearer is unwilling to take off the shoes. They will also act upon any and all desires that they may have subconsciously suppressed. If someone attempts to hamper them from acting on their desires or tries to take off the shoes, the shoes will control its host, which sometimes leads to murder."
- "It is unknown whether the host’s will is involved in the process, but taking into consideration the sharp increase of one’s desires and aggressiveness, the host’s primal urges seem to remain intact."
- <Excerpt from Counseling Log>
- Employee F1230: " “<Redacted> was a nice person. Well, they were also kinda a celebrity. They always told us that our job was something to be proud of. They knew how to deal with all kinds of Abnormalities. But it was our biggest mistake to let them enter that Containment Unit. We never thought a pair of shoes of all things would do any sort of harm. At some point, <Redacted> was wearing the shoes, grinning from ear to ear. It was uh, well it was quite strange. That wasn't a smile. It was... (Omitted).
- Blood was all over the place. The tapping of the shoes echoed in the corridor. I closed my eyes and played dead. I saw one of my colleague’s head rolling around on the floor. The shoes stopped right in front of me and stood still for such a long time. Eventually, they moved past me, and that was right when I passed out. (Omitted)
- I heard they couldn't take off the shoes and had to cut their legs. No one ever saw <Redacted> again after that, but those who’ve been here long enough will recall the incident.” "
- <Footage from Corridor Camera Z3_493>
- "<Redacted 1>: So the work on your part is all done right? I just finished mine. That little match girl is still in the same state. It's so frustrating. Wanna grab some coffee at the lounge?
- <Redacted 2>: You know, <Redacted 1>, there's something I've been thinking about for a long time.
- <Redacted 1>: Let's talk when we get to the lounge. I'm just too tired right now. Hey, are you wearing shoes? Only staff footwear is allowed during work.
- <Redacted 2>: That's not important, <Redacted 1>. What's important is that we're alone at the moment.
- <Redacted 1>: What are you talking about... Wait, what exactly are you wearing on your feet? Y-You didn't wear it, did you?
- <Redacted 2>: <Redacted 1>, I've loved you for a while.
- <Redacted 1>: Take it off, now. Do you even realize what you're doing right now?
- <Redacted 2>: I was thinking about why you wouldn't love me back. It's Emily, isn't it? You were so busy looking at Emily that you didn't even notice me, right?
- <Redacted 1>: I... I-Is that an axe you're holding? And you're bleeding from your ankles.
- <Redacted 1>, I'm begging you, please take that off.
- <Redacted 2>: So all I need to do is get rid of Emily! Wait here for a bit, it won't take long. You have to stay still till I come back.
- <Redacted 1>: Please snap out of it. Please...
- <Redacted 2>: If you wanted to stop me, you should have done that the day we first met.
- <Redacted 2> stunned <Redacted 1> with their weapon and went to the lounge. Fortunately, no one else besides <Redacted 1> was harmed, including Emily. <Redacted 2> was soon removed from the company database. They were entirely aware of what they were doing. They admitted that the shoes only encouraged them to do what they always desired. A response team handled the suppression of <Redacted 2>.
- Afterward, the Red Shoes ran away, tearing <Redacted 2>’s ankles off their body. It took a total of 23 minutes for them to be suppressed, contained, and returned to their Containment Unit. <Redacted 2> died from excessive blood loss. <Redacted 1> only sustained minor injuries, but elected to resign due to excessive psychological trauma."
- <Excerpt from a Research Log>
- "We received the report that employee <Redacted> was allured by the shoes and was roaming the corridor. We immediately ordered employee F3054 to suppress her.
- She was a veteran employee with vast experience in suppression, so we expected her to suppress a female employee without any trouble.But she didn’t return, and when others found her, employee F4002 was unconscious with both her ankles severed, while employee F3054 was maniacally trying to remove the shoes from the severed feet. "
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "The Red Shoes are placed on a stuffed cushion, as if on display."
- "If you happen to see something resembling teeth on the interior of The Red Shoes, it has to simply be a trick of the eyes."
- "Anyone whose gaze falls upon The Red Shoes will feel an irresistible urge to put them on."
- "The girl begged in tears. “Mister, please cut off my feet...” "
- "Leaving The Red Shoes on the worn cushion, <name> begins their work."
- "As if someone recently took them off, The Red Shoes are lying on the ground."
- "Moving past The Red Shoes, which are neatly aligned, <name> continues with their work."
- "The Red Shoes’s red enameled leather glistens in the light."
- "The ankle straps on The Red Shoes still appear elegant even though they’re worn out."
- "As if representing a long history, the heels of The Red Shoes are worn out."
- "The flawless condition the leather of The Red Shoes is in seems out of place."
- "<name> sneaks a few glances towards The Red Shoes while they’re working."
- "<name> just keeps looking over at The Red Shoes."
- "Having difficulty concentrating, <name> stops working and turns around to gaze at The Red Shoes."
- "Trying to resist viewing The Red Shoes again, <name> looks in the opposite direction, trying to resume the job at hand."
- "The Red Shoes are clearly not a living organism, but they emit a dismal aura."
- "The Red Shoes may not be a breathing creature, but its distinct atmosphere reminds those near it of a bloodied past."
- "The sanguine color of The Red Shoes looks oddly familiar."
- "The Red Shoes lies still."
Activating its special ability[edit | edit source]
- "<name> ignores their orders and continually glances at The Red Shoes. Now they’re reaching out their hand to take the shoes."
- "<name> takes off their own shoes and begins to put on The Red Shoes."
- "<name>’s eyes look different. Their pupils are dilated and unfocused."
- "<name> is satisfied by wearing The Red Shoes and savors the sound of tapping their heels."
When an employee is killed by the abnormality[edit | edit source]
- "<name> roams the corridor with axe in hand."
- "<name> uses their weapon against <name2>, who attempted to stop them."
- "<name2> was struck on the head by <name>’s weapon and died of cerebral hemorrhaging."
Employee obtaining the Shoes[edit | edit source]
- "This is mine, I won’t let anyone have it."
- "An axe, where is an axe?"
- "These shoes are the most beautiful pair I’ve seen.."
Possessed employee wandering[edit | edit source]
- "Where is everyone?"
- "Guys, look at me. I’ve got such nice shoes on."
- "You all need to see how lovely my shoes are."
Executing another employee[edit | edit source]
- "I told you, I won’t give them away."
- "They’re much prettier with blood on them."
- "Are you already asleep?"
Possessed employee dying[edit | edit source]
- "Give them… back to me!"
- "Don’t take them away from me..."
- "No no no! Don’t take them, no!"
- "I’m sorry..."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Red Shoes is a reference to the somewhat religious fairy tale of the same name: 'The Red Shoes', where a girl obsessed with her red shoes bought by her adoptive mother, ends up under a 'curse' where she is forced to dance as long she wears the shoes. At some point in the tale, the girl finds an executioner and asks to him to cut her feet off. After that, the red shoes continue to dance with her amputated feet still in them. Eventually, the girl is granted leave to heaven by a merciful angel.
- The ability of Red Shoes, 'Dancing to the Grave' is also a nod to the fairy tale.
- At one point, it is mentioned that the shoes keep running in the facility, which is a definite reference to the end of the cautionary tale.
- The ability of Red Shoes, 'Dancing to the Grave' is also a nod to the fairy tale.