"Someone's persistent gaze can be felt from the keyhole inside the machine."
- Schadenfreude's Encyclopedia Entry
Schadenfreude (O-05-76) is a mechanical, dark steel box with a keyhole in the front, with an eye of gray iris looking through, sometimes blinking or disappearing for a second. There are two lens at the front, one at the top left of the box and other to the bottom right. The lens at the top left is slightly bigger.
Schadenfreude ability will trigger when its Qliphoth Counter reaches 0. Its Qliphoth Counter is reduced by 1 when 5 seconds pass while it is on screen when working with it. This will also force NE-Boxes until the Abnormality is off-screen. This only includes the Abnormality, not the Containment Unit.
When the Qliphoth Counter is depleted, Schadenfreude will change its form and breach. While breaching, it will sprout 4 mechanical legs and reveal a mass of flesh which drips blood when moving at the bottom of the box. The Abnormality has 800 HP and moves at an average Movement Speed. It has two attacks at its disposal: A single attack which deals 5~7 Red Damage to a nearby target, and an area attack, using saws to deal constant 2~3 Red Damage to the targets beside itself for a moment, stopping during the process.
Unlike other Abnormalities, Schadenfreude will not move or attack while being out of screen, making it stop in the spot. If it was attacking with the saws, they will deal no damage and stop in the casting animation. Moving it back on screen will cause it to move or resume the attacks again.
Its origin is currently unknown.
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Schadenfreude's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-5 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 6-10 will cause it to feel Normal, and 11-18 will make it's mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 15 seconds and its Qliphoth Counter is 2.
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level ( HE), portrait, Damage Type ( Red 3 - 6), the amount of E-Boxes (18), emotional state and their Qliphoth Counter (2).
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "Work with Schadenfreude must proceed while the Containment Unit is outside of the manager’s view."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When Schadenfreude’s Containment Unit was in view for 5 seconds or longer during work, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "Schadenfreude became completely stationary when it was out of the manager’s view. Please take this into account when suppressing it."
- When looked at:
Red: Weak (1.2)- White: Endured (0.5)- Black: Normal (1.0)- Pale: Weak (1.5)
- When not looked at:
Red: Endured (0.6)- White: Resistant (0.2)- Black: Endured (0.5)- Pale: Endured (0.7)
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Gaze'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Suit 'Gaze'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon 'Gaze'.
- "A mechanical Abnormality capable of walking on its own."
- "Someone's persistent gaze can be felt from the keyhole inside the machine. It blinks, but never closes. The purpose of the eye or what it is observing is unknown."
- "After several experiments, it has been discovered that when one or more employees stare at the Abnormality, the condition becomes far worse."
- <Experiment D-002>
"An employee was sent in after covering their eyes with a thick cloth. The cloth must be made from a fine opaque material. Tests must be conducted to ensure the cloth completely blocks their vision. After entering the Abnormality's Containment Unit, they faced the direction of the Abnormality for 10 seconds. No reaction."
- <Experiment D-003>
- "Similar to Experiment D-002, an employee was sent in with their eyes covered. The cloth was identical to the one used in D-002, but allowed the employee to discern some forms.
- After entering the Containment Unit of the Abnormality, they faced towards the Abnormality for 10 seconds. After 5 seconds, it aggressively approached the employee. Experiment halted."
- <Experiment D-004>
- "This time, a blind employee^ was sent in without any covering. The employee faced the Abnormality for more than 30 seconds. There was no reaction.
^ Please dispose of the subject used in D-004 immediately."
- When training employees who have never worked with this Abnormality before, it goes without saying, but please make sure to tell them not to look at the Abnormality directly. If someone raises doubts about this, tell them what happened to employee Yumi, who didn't follow instructions and stared directly at the Abnormality.
- Memo 2:
- Employee Yumi can no longer be in charge of this Abnormality. She claims that she is under constant surveillance, but this is a preposterous accusation and we believe that she has a severe delusional disorder. Most of what she says is nonsense, but to put it simply, she claims that someone keeps watching her, whether she's eating or going to the restroom. Also, whenever she sees something like a keyhole or a crack between a door, she will become hysterical and try to seal any hole that she sees. However what's more aggravating is that her mental corruption levels read normal, which makes it difficult for us to dispose of her by the system. Please replace her soon…
- Memo 3:
- Oh, the request we made before was resolved. Employee Yumi was found in her room. She covered all the holes in her room with duct tape, including the vent. She even stabbed her eyes out with a pen. The delusional disorder seems to have been resolved as well; she's not muttering nonsense anymore... However, I have to wonder why you would want to send a blind employee to the Containment Unit again. I don't know what Experiment D-004 is about, but I don't think it will do much good..."
- "The warning to not look at Schadenfreude has caused many employees to fall curious, leading to many a terrible incident."
- "When you feel an unrelenting gaze upon you even while you are alone, it is already too late."
- This Abnormality and The Burrowing Heaven are the only Abnormalities to use the camera as a condition for their abilities ingame.
- This is also true for their E.G.O. Suit, which need the camera focused to give a buff to the suit.
- Schadenfreude is a German word made that means pleasure, joy or self-satisfaction that comes from learning or witnessing the troubles, failures or humiliation of another.
- While time is stopped, Schadenfreude can safely be looked at during work with no consequence, regardless of duration.