"Unsurprisingly, not a single employee volunteered to retrieve the corpse of their cocooned colleague."
- Spider Bud
Spider Bud (T-02-43) is an arachnid stated to be mother Abnormality. She is described as an enormous spider with numerous red eyes in her encyclopedia entries, although her actual in-game appearance is closer to a dark sack with several red eyes of varying sizes. She hangs from the ceiling in a dark corner, and doesn't seem to possess any legs visibly attached to her main body. Instead, her legs seem to come from the ceiling, only seen when grabbing an employee. In her containment room, spiderlings are crawling on the floor.
Ability[edit | edit source]
When activating her ability, Spider Bud will descend from the ceiling and face the employee, capturing them in her web and wrapping them into a cocoon. They will be considered dead. The cocoons increase the amount of PE-boxes by 1 per cocoon given to the Energy Quota when the work is completed. The amount of Cocoons does not affect the unique PE-boxes given at the end of work nor the maximum and minimum PE-boxes the abnormality will give. E.g. It will not display 1 PE-boxes on the upper left of the containment room when there is 1 cocoon and preforming Insight. However it will give 1 PE-box to the Quota.
Origin[edit | edit source]
The details of her origin are currently unknown, but seem like she was living in a dark forest, shown in her full artwork; before the corporation captured her.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, her energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
Spider Bud's emotional state is divided into 2 sections: Bad and Normal. Completing 0-6 E Boxes will cause her to feel Distressed and completing 7-14 will cause her to feel Normal. Her usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "Employees with Prudence Level 1 squashed the spiderlings. Spider Bud turned those who harmed its children into cocoons."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When cleaning the unit due as a part of Insight Work, <name> was quickly turned into a cocoon by Spider Bud."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "Spider Bud’s cocoons produce PE-Boxes. Additional cocoons mean a greater number of produced PE-Boxes."
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not. "Non Escaped Object"
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks an E.G.O. Suit and Gift 'Red Eyes'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon 'Red Eyes'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
- "An Abnormality that takes the form of a giant spider, guarding its domain in darkness. It's difficult to see the Abnormality with bare eyes. Small spiderlings skitter around the floor. "
- "Our proud employee, Peter, entered the Abnormality’s Containment Unit one day. When he shone the flashlight on the floor, small little spiders skittered away from the light."
- "When Peter squashed one of the spiderlings by accident, a giant spider descended from the ceiling. Peter was dragged to the ceiling in only a moment. The cocooned employee hanging off the ceiling of the Containment Unit will be a healthy meal for the spider's offspring."
- "Unsurprisingly, not a single employee volunteered to retrieve the corpse of their cocooned colleague."
- <Excerpt from an Animal Encyclopedia>
- "...A fact often overlooked by many is that victims trapped in a spider's cocoon are actually not dead. The prey is in fact slowly dying within. Their death is postponed so they can be kept fresh for later consumption. A spider's poison contains a toxin that permanently damages the heart, eventually leading to death. Insects, trapped in the pitch-black cocoons, have no choice but to wait for the spiderlings to feed on them, feeling their heart beat slower and slower. (Omitted)"
- <Excerpt from the Head of the Welfare Department's Letter>
"We do appreciate your suggestion. However, our own research indicates that your concerns are unlikely to be true. Furthermore, it is proven that the presence of a cocoon in the Containment Unit increases the energy output. For these reasons, we will not implement a rescue procedure for employees who are caught by Spider Bud as it is against our interests. However, we will allocate more resources into researching this specimen in the future per your opinion. Please be advised that disrupting the atmosphere of our workspace by spreading unconfirmed rumors is against the code of conduct, and may even be subject to penalties including dismissal. Lobotomy always values the welfare and voices of its employees.
- Head of the Welfare Department, Lobotomy Corporation."
- "There's an eerie rumor spreading among employees. It's not out of the ordinary for a rumor or two to spread in a company like this, but it is interesting that the number of alleged witnesses seems to multiply.
- The rumor says the following: “Whispers can be heard in the Containment Unit at night...” “It was the voice of Alex, who went missing a few days ago...” “They say the voice wept in terror, asking to be saved from the darkness...” "
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "Spider Bud desires to stockpile food for the coming winter. Her children are always hungry."
- "The Containment Unit is one giant spiderweb. As soon as an employee enters it, the spider’s eyes are fixed on its prey."
- "Just as <name> realizes that the wires on the ceiling are longer than usual, one of them starts moving."
- "When <name> notices that the floor shouldn’t be black, a large shadow begins to move."
- "Spider Bud’s numerous eyes track <name>’s every movement."
- "Spider Bud is likely able to hear, touch, smell, as well as see. And most importantly, taste."
- "Spiders have strong maternal instincts. They will defend their offspring at all costs."
- "Working inside the unit, <name> never looks up at the ceiling. Making eye contact with it will ruin their day."
- "At times, a few spiderlings may fall from the ceiling, but everything’ll be fine if you just ignore them. ."
- "<name> makes sure to not forget to gently give themself a patdown before leaving, as to make sure no spiderlings are still clung to any piece of their clothing."
- "<name> managed to leave the containment without squashing any of the little ones.."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As mentioned in her encyclopedia entry, the employees might still be alive in the cocoons, much like how most spiders wrap their prey in silk to save them for later. In this case, the prey is for her spiderlings.
- Spider Bud's alternate name, 'Brood Mother, is used in one of the encyclopedia entries.
- Its first letter in the subject number classify it as 'Trauma', due to the events of employees with low prudence killing the spiderlings, in fear or other reasons. This Abnormality may represent the common fear of spiders, or arachnophobia.
- This is the only Abnormality whose containment unit is very dark.
- This is 1 of 2 Abnormalities that hang from the ceiling. The other is Old Faith and Promise.