"...Sadness says: ‘Begone, pass away!’ But greed seeks eternity—seeks deep, deep eternity."
- The King of Greed's Flavour Text
The King of Greed (O-01-64), also known as one of the Magical Girls, is a humanoid Abnormality taking the form of a girl with dark skin and long white hair, wearing a yellow dress and accessories, notably a necklace and bracelets. She is encapsulated in a golden, egg-like being, with a mouth at the top and a transparent part on the front, making the girl inside it visible. It makes glittering sounds when it is in its containment room.
Ability[edit | edit source]
- When getting a Normal Work result by a medium chance.
- When getting a Bad Work result by a high chance.
The Abnormality will breach once the counter is depleted, transforming into a creature, similar to a fish with a big body and a huge mouth at the front, small legs/feet and eyes, with long black appendages coming from the sides, and conserving the color from the previous form. From the big mouth is hanging the head of the girl. The Abnormality makes crunching sounds, along with the laugh of a girl, in this form. She will then teleport out of the containment unit to a random hallway in the facility, in one side facing to the opposite one.
She has high HP at 1500 and moderately slow Movement Speed. When breaching, The King of Greed moves in only one direction, and when reaching the end of the hallway or another door, it will teleport to another random hallway in the facility, appearing from one of the sides.
Any employee or Abnormality which is trapped or touched by the Abnormality's mouth will suffer a huge amount of Red Damage(~400), killing anything in its path almost instantly. It doesn't deal any damage from behind.
Origin[edit | edit source]
The King of Greed seems to be linked to The Queen of Hatred and the The Knight of Despair, due to all three being named 'Magical Girls' before and mentioned to be sisters along with the others Magical Girls, in the Final Observation Dialogue. She was one of the 'heroes' who wanted to protect the world, but due to their own desires, she met her demise. The King of Greed was sealed in an golden egg-like being which is similar to a fish when transformed, which in her entries, the 'origin' of that form is because of a hungry fish who lures at the bottom of the mind's river who acts like a symbol of greed and desire; and she encapsulated herself by her own will.
How she arrived to the facility or where she was found are still unknown.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, her energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
The King of Greed's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-7 PE Boxes will cause her to feel Distressed, completing 8-15 will cause her to feel Normal, and 16-22 will make her be Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 15 seconds. Its Qliphoth Counter is 1.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "When the work result was Normal, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a normal probability."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter lowered with a high probability."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "The King of Greed's behavioral pattern is to engulf anything that lies in her path when escaping. When suppressing her, please pay attention to which direction the Abnormality is moving"
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Gold Rush'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Suit 'Gold Rush'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon 'Gold Rush'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
- "The first bit of humanity's desire started with the bite of a sweet apple. We've been banished from Eden for that sin.And now we're standing inside a vast orchard. My basket is so large, all the fruits of the world can't make it full. But, is it so bad to lust for honey when there are flowers? After all, we are born to pursue happiness."
- "Happiness became obsession, obsession became greed, and the greed forever solidified to become a golden amber. The happiness in the beginning, still holding a smile, dwells inside.
- The first seed of desire originated from the pure yearning for happiness. The tiny seed grew larger and larger, hungering for more. Over time, the seed hardened and turned into a piece of shiny gem. Enticed by its sheen, a starving fish swallowed it. But it only made the fish even hungrier.
- The desires of people usually go unfulfilled. Many desires are abandoned, but they are not completely gone. They hide deep in the subconscious, lurking at the bottom of the lake, ready to spring up at any moment.
However, the yearning for happiness may also rear its head from time to time, darting its tongue like a snake. As soon as a tiny piece of bait falls into the river, the hungry fish will come up and snatch it in an instant.
- We delude ourselves to be highly rational beings who are in full control of these things, but it's such a preposterous belief, it's laughable. We don't have as much control over ourselves as we believe.
- The magical girl, who was no longer a magical girl, ate many things. Authority, money, fame, and many other forms of pleasure. She ended up eating away anything in her sight. Now, only visceral greed remains."
- "<Someone’s Diary>
- Many people have secretly wished for a hero.
- They say there once was something called soul therapy. What does it feel like to have an ill soul? We are all healthy. But maybe all of this is a tragic illusion. Once, there were people who tried to change the world. We all remember them. We remember how they met their downfall.
- Desires, I know of desires that ruin all things. We no longer believe in something, nor do we entertain a hope for a miracle. We don't think too much about why they've changed. And we don't blame them. For we have realized that endless desire brings despair.
- I sometimes feel a terrible dejection, but I do not know where the pain comes from. ...Many people have secretly wished for a hero."
- "Deep is the sorrow of the world. Greed—deeper still than agony. Sadness says: 'Begone, pass away!' But greed seeks eternity—seeks deep, deep eternity."
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "When The King of Greed assumes the form of an egg, you can faintly see a smiling girl inside it."
- "Some of our employees think that The King of Greed is trapped inside this thing that resembles an egg, however, the truth is that she shut herself inside it."
- "The glamorous amber pattern on The King of Greed at times fascinates our workers"
- "The King of Greed’s color is that of a brilliant and lustrous gold."
- "The world that The King of Greed may have once loved is now being devoured by her."
- "The King of Greed once had eyes as red as the setting sun, but greed has consumed all, leaving nothing behind."
- "The King of Greed surrendered to hunger and started devouring itself."
- "The day The King of Greed’s hunger ceases will be the end of everything."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The King of Greed is related to The Queen of Hatred and The Knight of Despair through her last observation dialogue and belonging to the 'Magical Girl' story.
- The King of Greed's design seems to be based off of the Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I (Also called The Lady in Gold or The Woman in Gold) by Gustav Klimt.
- The final quote of The King of Greed's bio (and subsequently her selection screen text) is a modified version of the lyrics for the fourth movement of Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 3, which in turn took its words from Friedrich Nietzsche’s Also sprach Zarathustra: the "Midnight Song".