"Even if this turns to be a curse, I will love this curse like a blessing"
-The Little Prince's Entry
The Little Prince (O-04-66), also known by its alternative name, Giant Mushroom Chunk, is an Abnormality taking the form of a tall mushroom-like entity of dark blue and purple colors. It possess a spherical base made of what seems to be heads with hollow holes as eyes and mouth. A dark stalk originates from the base to upwards, ending with a large blue cap on the top, a purple ring below it and with two branches, holding from several strings, dark blue hands with red fingers. A transparent light blue layer comes down from the cap. A cracking sound can be heard when it's idle.
Ability[edit | edit source]
- After 3 consecutive works, not including Insight, which will reset this condition, its counter will be reduced by 1.
- Getting a Bad Result reduces its counter by 1.
- If an employee works with The Little Prince 5 times, the ability will trigger with the Qliphoth Counter resetting. To prevent this, the employee must work on a different abnormality the equivalent amount of times they worked on the Little Prince.
When the counter reaches 0 without employees in the containment, random employees in the facility will be possessed and lured to its containment. The possessed employee has a blue spore cloud around their head. If they pass near another employees, they might also be infected by the spores and attracted to the containment of The Little Prince. The possessed employees can be saved by clicking on them multiple times, slowing the employee until released.
When a possessed employee reach the containment, the others will be released immediately. Once inside, they will be slowly transformed into a minion, The Little Prince-1, as the Abnormality reveals its true form at different sequences. After the mutation, the creature will exit the containment and remains wandering the hallway connected to the containment unit. Once out, spores will cover the floor. It has 545 HP and slow Movement Speed; it attacks nearby employees, dealing (5~6) Black Damage by piercing them with their head or smashing them with their arms, dealing (8~10) Black Damage. Once defeated, the corpse of the minion will spread spores and all the employees in the hallway will be infected by dark blue spores around their heads, dealing minor (1~4) White Damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. If an employee panics by this effect, they will be lured to the containment room like the previous method.
The Little Prince-1 can not revert back to the original employee. The employee is considered Out of Control during the mutation and Dead once the infestation finish. The spores on the floor will remain until the end of the day.
Origin[edit | edit source]
The Little Prince is assumed to be extraterrestrial due to being mentioned in its encyclopedia entries. Where it was found or how it arrived to the facility is unknown like the rest of its origin.
Details[edit | edit source]
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
The Little Prince Abnormality's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-8 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 9-15 will cause it to feel Normal, and 16-24 will make it's mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 10 seconds and its Qliphoth Counter is 2.
Unlockable Information/Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level ( WAW), portrait, Damage Type ( Black 3 - 4), the amount of E-Boxes (24), emotional states and their Qliphoth Counter (2).
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "The Qliphoth Counter decreased after 3 non-Insight works were performed in a row."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "Employees who worked with The Little Prince had a chance of being infected by its spores. Send them to work with other Abnormalities regularly to counteract complete infection."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- "Managerial Tips 4"
- "<name>, who constantly worked with The Little Prince, showed signs of acute pain in the Containment Unit. After that, tissues similar to The Little Prince emerged in their body, and <name> began to transform into The Little Prince-1."
- "Managerial Tips 5"
- "The Little Prince attracted an employee to its containment unit when its Qliphoth Counter hit 0. When the lured employee entered the Containment Unit, the same phenomenon as described previously occurred."
- "Managerial Tips 6"
- "When suppressing The Little Prince-1, please pay attention to the spores that are released from its body upon death. Those spores will cause sustained mental damage, and employees who panic from the spores may attempt to enter The Little Prince’s Containment Unit, which should be immediately stopped."
Information if the Abnormality can escape or not, plus its Qliphoth Counter (2). The defenses displayed are of The Little Prince-1's stats, since The Little Prince is classified as "Non Escaped Object":
Observation Level[edit | edit source]
Unlocks the E.G.O. Suit and Gift 'Spore'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon 'Spore'.
E.G.O. Equipment[edit | edit source]
The Little Prince-1[edit | edit source]
The Little Prince-1 is a minion that The Little Prince creates by infecting an employee. It manifests as a quadrupedal entity, with long pair of arms and legs. The arms have big black closed hands at the end. The legs raise the rear end of the body higher, with the front part near the floor, where it has its head with a spike at the front. Its whole body is covered by blue tumors or spores, with the back part resembling heads like the ones at base of The Little Prince.
The Little Prince-1 possess high HP , slow Movement Speed, and can deal High Black Damage. It has two attacks: piercing the employee in front of it with its spike on the head, or by slamming its fists at the ground beneath the employee. It does not leave the hallway connected to The Little Prince's containment room, and will rapidly line the floor of the hallway with spores. When The Little Prince-1 dies the spores take effect, dealing minor White Damage to employees in the same room. If they panic, they will be lured to The Little Prince's containment room. This effect last for a few seconds before dissipating.
Story[edit | edit source]
"Among the employees, it was originally referred to as the ‘Giant Mushroom Chunk.’ It does appear to be a gigantic mushroom, and it bears some semblance to mold as well; overall, its appearance closely resembles fungi. It continuously releases spores into the air, visible to the naked eye."
"A majority of our employees are not fond of this Abnormality. Few are broad-minded enough to favor working with some giant mushroom that fills up half a Containment Unit, spewing out unknown spores; they have dozens of other things to worry about, including other Abnormalities to work with."
"As so few of our employees willingly volunteered to work with it, we could only record the most bare-bones information. Originally we utilized a shift system to designate what Abnormalities our staff were to work with. However, after the “Magical Girl Incident” a few years ago, we began to give consideration to the opinions of our employees when assigning work."
"The Abnormality produces motile, microscopic airborne spores. They mostly proliferate by invading other organisms through their respiratory systems. It is difficult to notice the initial symptoms from this invasion because the only sensations are a light dyspnea and dry, sandy throat. Thus, it is mandatory to wear a mask when working with this Abnormality."
"When an employee inhales enough spores, bizarre cysts will begin to grow on their body, and tissues will be eroded. Ultimately, they will become a dysmorphic creature whose original form is hardly noticeable. They will show hostility in this state, so they must be terminated on sight."
<Excerpt from Counseling Log - Employee John>
"There was this one guy who was awfully quiet. He was that guy who’d glance sideways at us like some kinda fox, as if he was expecting us to talk to him. One peculiar thing about him was that he would volunteer to work on the mushroom chunk, an Abnormality everyone loathed to visit. It was also disturbing that he would spend an unusually long time in its Containment Unit. Who knows what kind of monstrosity might have grown on his body?
When we decided to call the Abnormality the "Giant Mushroom Chunk" among ourselves, that guy spoke up for the first time. Saying he's the one who's seen it the most. He talked a lot of nonsense, like how it didn't deserve to be called a mushroom chunk. Everyone laughed at him. We decided he finally had gone bonkers when he started saying stuff about how he became friends with the damn thing. I mean, it’s a common enough thing around here, lots of stuff happens.
One person going insane isn’t a big deal. We tried to give him a couple hints to take a psychiatric test but he just gave us this condescending look like he knew something we didn’t. And a few days later, he kicked the bucket, as we all know. Did I mention that it was me who recognized him in that spore-mold-creature's carcass? The birthmark on his forehead. If we hadn't found that birthmark on that lump of spores, we'd never have even guessed it was him. No one actually knew he had a birthmark except me. Since, you know, no one in the department was friends with him.
After becoming that monster, he just wandered around near the mushroom’s Containment Unit. We tried to lure him somewhere less crowded ‘cause he was attacking everything in sight. But he wouldn’t move more than ten meters away from the chunk until he died.
This is why we decided to rename the Abnormality. Complex reasons, like pity for the guy who became friends with a mushroom of all things, and the remembrance of his tragic death. To tell you the truth, he needed a friend. That's why he let himself get infected, going crazy in hallucinations, not knowing that he was turning into a monster. The mushroom, it tamed the poor bastard simply to reproduce; it got Alex, whose name wasn't known by anyone..."
<Employee Alex's notes>
"The human mind is too fragile to visualize something in its truest form. Did you know that mantis shrimp can see hundreds of colors that humans cannot? That simple fact is enough of an example to illustrate my point that it’s detrimental to believe and judge everything by relying solely on what you see.
I don’t actually have many friends. Don’t misunderstand me now. I don’t want to make a friend, I choose not to make friends; it’s not that I can’t. It is because we don’t understand each other. A person thinks of himself as a completely isolated entity, making it impossible to fully understand others. But ironically, an inherent instinct of mob psychology has survived over the course of our evolution. We repeatedly play a game of risk, walking a tightrope, vainly trying to understand each other while staying out of our territories. In fact, I was long done with this pointless game.
I volunteered to observe the giant mushroom for a similar cause. No one wanted to get close to that Abnormality. It must be because of some petty reasons such as how it looks disgusting to their eyes. The fact that its appearance was slightly alien wasn't going to stop me. In fact, I actually felt a bit superior when everyone seemed surprised when I said I would work with it. (Omitted)
The Abnormality didn't show any notable activity. I recorded and observed the silence with patience. One day, after it spread powders of enchanting colors, I experienced a special change. I could perceive "hyper-reality," a plane higher than reality. This was a hand He gave to me.
I took it and was rewarded with the invitation to such a special place. It was something only I could achieve. He talked to me telepathically. He welcomed me because I was the only one who could realize His essence. I had been imagining, yearning for the moment to converse through my mind. To be completely understood; the feeling of unification. It was so exhilarating, I could barely hide my joy. (Omitted)
I wanted to get closer to Him. I wanted to be a part of Him. I always thought of Him. I wanted to belong to Him and understand His world. Like a flower bud about to bloom, my mind was pervaded... I was being tamed, little by little...."
<Excerpt of an Audio Record>
"This is a part of the footage caught by a surveillance camera in the Containment Unit. As the Abnormality's spores completely obscured the visual feed, only the audio could be extracted.
Judging from the content of the recorded conversation, we deemed it safe to assume that the Abnormality's spores contain hallucinatory agents. Because even after a thorough analysis of the audio record, no voice other than the employee's could be detected. The employee, infected by the spores, suffered a severe state of frenzy before being shot down by another employee on the spot.
- No, I don’t have any friends. Like I said before, I’m not fond of such contradictory relationships. At the very least, I think you could be my friend. The human language is too simple to illustrate this relationship, but I think we could settle on "friends".
- … Yes, I am your one and only friend.
- I shall accept you. My life has been changed ever since I met you. I had been living my whole life feeling depressed, without a sense of purpose, without talking to anyone, just working all day. But you redeemed me, a person who abandoned oneself. Just like how I could perceive your true essence, you saw through mine.
It is a truly rapturous experience. I'd like to understand you; I'd like to become a being like you and love you. I was born human, lived a tedious life and might have kept doing so had it not been for you. I was so happy that I met you.
- Please remember me; please remember the nameless flower that bloomed just for you.
- Even if this turns to be a curse, I will love this curse like a blessing. I will think about you to the day my mind collapses and crumbles. I will close my eyes thinking only of my sole friend who came from the far away universe…
(Afterward, a faint sound of air leaking from the Abnormality could be heard before all fell silent)"
Flavour Text[edit | edit source]
- "<name> can feel tiny spores spewing out of The Little Prince."
- "<name> is feeling a bit hazy because of The Little Prince."
- "The Little Prince appears revolting, yet enchanting."
- "The fox said: “What is essential is invisible to the eye.” "
- "The Little Prince came from afar, a place we don’t know."
- "Perhaps The Little Prince is not what we see with our eyes."
- "The endings of the many employees who were tamed by The Little Prince were always tragic."
- "All the employees who turned into monsters by The Little Prince’s spores wander near its Containment Unit."
- "Many of our employees who’ve worked with The Little Prince reportedly refused to eat mushroom for a while."
- "Unlike many of the Abnormalities we have contained, only one employee was responsible for naming The Little Prince."
- "<name> remembers a piece of a star."
Activating its ability[edit | edit source]
- "Dozens of spore fruits begin to grow on <name>’s body; they cannot be stopped… <name>’s mind is desperately yearning for consensus with The Little Prince."
- "With The Little Prince’s star kept in their body, <name> slowly begins to lose their mind, unable to control themselves."
- "The price for yearning for something greater than ourselves was itself great."
- "<name> hears a friend’s voice call out to them as they lose consciousness."
- "<name>, who saw stars in their dreams, has their longing for The Little Prince continually deepen."
- "<name> couldn’t remain in The Little Prince’s world. The tragic ending of <name>, now exiled, begins."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Little Prince has been reworked to fit in the current version from Legacy, now including a new portrait.
- This Abnormality appears to take some inspiration and design from the novella The Little Prince, written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
- This can be evidenced by the title of the Abnormality itself, and a reference (in the flavor text) to the character in the novella, The Fox, which The Little Prince tames and becomes friends with.
- Another line from the flavor text also supports ties to the book, as in the book one of the key lines is "One sees clearly only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eye."
Bugs[edit | edit source]
There was an English translation bug in 'Managerial Tips 1'. It says that the Qliphoth Counter will lower if Insight work isn’t carried out regularly three or more times. Actually, the Qliphoth counter will lower if Insight work isn’t carried out regularly at least on every third work.
- This has been corrected with the May 2020 English Retranslation.