"The smiling faces are unfamiliar yet sorrowful."
- The Mountain of Smiling Bodies' Entry
The Mountain of Smiling Bodies (T-01-75) is an Abnormality taking the form of a big black spherical mass, encrusted with different parts and debris. It possess a big mouth with visible teeth with some tips covered on blood; and has 2 limbs to support itself. Part of its body is covered with white masks with twisted expressions, all with two black eyes and a mouth.
- An employee enters in its containment injured ( HP or SP missing or not full at Max).
- The employee dies in its containment.
- Getting a Bad work result.
- 10 or more employees die in the facility (Exclude employees killed by Execution Bullets).
When the counter reaches 0, it will breach. When escaping the containment, its starts off with a small amount of HP at 500 and high Movement Speed. It will try to bite nearby employees, dealing a considerable amount of Red Damage (7~11) while trying to eat them in the process. When it walks over a corpse, it will consume it and heal itself. After 3 corpses were consumed, it will grow an 'extra' part, similar to itself and will be attached to one of its sides, as well recover and double its Max HP. This can happen twice and once is done, the Abnormality will not be defeated by depleting its HP only once. Once its HP falls below half, if it has an extra part, the last addition will be removed and will return to full HP, along with reducing its Max HP by half.
The Abnormality will perform other attacks by the amount of extra parts that it possess at the moment:
- With 1 extra part, it can perform a roar for a moment when it sees a target. The roar deals great (20~27) Black Damage to targets at medium range.
- With 2 extra parts, it will start to slam other employees or Abnormalities with them, dealing great (15~17) Black Damage, or spit an acid substance, dealing massive (120~150) Black Damage and slowing any targets in its front in a short range.
If there are any employee's corpse on the floor, the Abnormality will move towards the dead bodies spot. If there are no dead bodies, it will wander around the entire facility without any specific pattern, usually turning back when reaching a door. It will remain breaching until suppressed or the day ends.
The Mountain of Smiling Bodies was formed after an accident with an Abnormality which left several causalities and, oddly, all the employees who died were in the same spot, with the corpses piled up on each other. Due to the graphic attack, a Sephirah allowed a request to postpone the collection of the bodies. Time passed and the corpses were still there, rotting quickly due to some of them having bad shape or health.
After a long time, the bodies fused into the Abnormality's current form. The fusion occurred when the corpses were 'smiling', sharing all their body parts, becoming sentient but not fully conscious, having only one objective in their mind: flesh. The Abnormality constantly seeks corpses to grow bigger and satisfy its hunger for more.
In the entries, the story seems to be told by an employee of the company, working in a department where the incident probably occurred, but it is sure that the Abnormality was contained there after its creation. Near the last entries, the employee tells that, likely the manager, did a well job in quarantine the department, with them being the only left in the department due to The Mountain of Smiling Bodies breaching. The employee eats a bomb and warns them to come and get rid of the other dead employees once the bomb goes off.
Like all Abnormalities, its energy output is determined by the number of PE Boxes (Positive Enkephalin boxes) at the end of the interaction.
The Mountain of Smiling Bodies's emotional state is divided into 3 sections: Bad, Normal, and Good. Completing 0-10 E Boxes will cause it to feel Distressed, completing 11-20 will cause it to feel Normal, and 21-30 will make its mood result Happy. Its usual waiting time after a task is around 15 seconds. Its Qliphoth Counter is 2.
Basic Information (Cost: 30 PE Boxes)
Unlocks and shows the name of the Abnormality, subject classification, Risk Level ( ALEPH), portrait, Damage Type ( Black 6 - 8), the amount of E-Boxes (30), their emotional state and Qliphoth Counter.
Unlocks the percentage level list to the respective work.
- "Managerial Tips 1"
- "When <name> died while working with Mountain of Smiling Bodies, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- "Managerial Tips 2"
- "When a wounded employee entered the Containment Unit, the Qliphoth Counter lowered."
- "Managerial Tips 3"
- "When the work result was Bad, the Qliphoth Counter decreased."
- "Managerial Tips 4"
- "When 10 employees die inside the facility, the Qliphoth Counter will lower. However, deaths caused by Execution Bullets were not recognized."
- "Managerial Tips 5"
- "While Mountain of Smiling Bodies is escaping, it will show sensitive reactions to corpses. During suppression, ensure that no one dies due to the Abnormality; if casualties do happen, try to keep Mountain of Smiling Bodies away from the dead."
- "Managerial Tips 6"
- "If Mountain of Smiling Bodies’s suppression could not be completed on the previous level, you must be very careful to prevent any death inside the section where Mountain of Smiling Bodies is located."
- "Managerial Tips 7"
- "After other entities spawned from Mountain of Smiling Bodies’s main body while escaping, reducing its HP to 0 did not fully suppress it. Mountain of Smiling Bodies will only be quelled by attacking the main body after continuously reducing its HP and defeating the other spawned entities."
Unlocks the E.G.O. Gift 'Smile'.
Unlocks the E.G.O. Weapon and Suit 'Smile'.
"It's not like these kinds of happenings are uncommon here, but one day, dozens of employees were killed in an incident. The reason is the same as always. Something breaches, they attempt to stop it, then it leads to another breach... The one fortunate thing was that the department was sealed off before things could get any worse, so they all died in the same place. Literally, a mountain of bodies was formed. Obviously, no one wanted to clean up that mess.
Normally, it should have been taken care of within the day, but because the accident was just so horrific and everyone was so exhausted, the clean up was delayed with authorization from the department’s Sephirah. Don't ask me which department it was in, I don't remember all the details."
"When left out in the open, a corpse will begin to rot within a few hours. Most of the bodies that die here are damaged in one way or another, so they decay even faster. You probably don’t know it yet, but most of the employees here are rather skilled at cleaning up dead bodies. Tidying up over and over will make anyone an expert at it, whether you want to or not. Let’s say someone you were just talking to about dinner plans died horrifically. With your repeated experience to help you, you won’t be vomiting or running away at least."
"Whoops, I sidetracked a little there. Anyway, in normal circumstances, the mountain would have been removed quickly, but it remained in the department for quite a long time. So it decayed, melted, corroded, and broke down following the laws of nature."
"That's how its creation began, from the mountains of bodies. The dead gave life to something. Amazed yet? I've still got more to tell you. The dead fused with one another, all smiling. Sharing body parts, at least those that were still intact, they became each other's legs and mouths. That doesn't mean their consciousness has also been restored though. It only wants one thing: our flesh drenched in blood. When there’s an announcement of someone’s death, the first thing you should do is check if this thing’s quarantined. Once it gets a whiff of the scent, it will pursue us in an instant. The smiling faces are unfamiliar yet sorrowful. The more bodies it comes across, the more defined its shape becomes. And it is never satisfied.
I'm telling you all this because it's almost here. Accidents always happen in this place. Some may spare a bit of their time for a moment of silence, but most will turn away thinking, "Again?". At the very least, one thing that was done right is that the department’s been sealed off. I'm the only one left anyways. Did you learn anything from my story? What kind of lesson can be learned from a story as horrible as this, you ask? It's similar to most fairy tales. "Don't be lazy" is the lesson. When my voice ceases, come here and clean up your colleagues in exactly 3 minutes"
"Pretty soon I won't be able to keep talking. I'm about to swallow a large bomb. Time's running out. Blood is flowing all around here. I'm starting to see the smiling faces now... Something you don't see much of around here. Don't be surprised when you hear a loud explosion. Like I said, it's precisely 3 minutes. I'm sure a bomb this size will be able to suppress it. The last body it finds will be mine."
- "Mountain of Smiling Bodies is searching for the smell of a body, carrying the smiles of many."
- "Mountain of Smiling Bodies waits for the oncoming smell of blood, holding all of the laughter of those who cannot be seen here."
- This is the first Abnormality to use corpses as a way to trigger its own effects. The second being CENSORED.
- The Mountain of Smiling Bodies and its E.G.O. Suit can consume corpses of employees executed with Execution Bullets, as there exist a small gap of time where the body of the executed employees shrink before disappearing while the visual effects is still on.
- Despite being classified as Humanoid (01), it doesn't resemble any humanoid type or forms. This is probably because of what is made of and not of what form it has.
- It possibly represents Necrophobia, the fear of the dead.
- There is an obvious resemblance to No-Face from Spirited Away, particularly when No-Face is on a rampage to eat.
- Its appearance and abilities are reminiscent of That Stench Most Foul from Salt and Sanctuary.